- Applicants should first register with and complete an ERAS application if that is how the program is accepting applications. An NRMP ID IS NOT required to submit ERAS applications; however, Match applicants MUST have an AAMC ID to register with NRMP for the Main Residency Match®. After registering with NRMP, applicants should log back in to ERAS and update their profile with their NRMP ID to make it easier for program directors to identify them for placement on the program’s rank order lists.
- For registration, the following identification numbers are REQUIRED:
- USMLE® ID for U.S. allopathic students/graduates;
- ECFMG ID for international medical school students/graduates (IMGS); and
- AOA ID and NBOME® ID for U.S. osteopathic students/graduates.
Note: USMLE ID is not required for IMGs, but it can be entered. It is the same as the ECFMG ID.
The R3 System
All NRMP® Matches are managed through the NRMP’s Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system. At the beginning of each Match, applicants must register for the Match and create a new Username and Password. Applicant registration from previous Matches does NOT carry over to a new Match. The R3 system can be accessed directly at https://r3.nrmp.org/viewLoginPage or by clicking the orange “Register/Login for a Match” button in the right menu bar on every page of www.nrmp.org.
The Registration Process
Registration is an eleven-step process, the purpose of which is described below:
- Select a Match: Identify in the R3 system the Match for which you want to register.
- Participant Type: Indicate the type of medical school attended and citizenship status. Applicants in the Main Residency Match also enter their expected date of graduation from medical school.
- Professional Profile: Provide basic profile information, including name, date of birth, and AAMC ID. Applicants also are prompted to provide USMLE ID, ECFMG ID, or NBOME ID depending on their educational background. The Professional Profile section focuses on the applicant’s USMLE or COMLEX scores and work and volunteer experiences.
- Profile information can be updated at any time during the Match process. Email addresses and phone numbers must remain current in the R3 system to ensure receipt of important reminders, notices, and Match results from the NRMP.
- Applicants are encouraged to check YES for informed consent so that NRMP can use professional profile information for research purposes. The data will allow NRMP to continue publishing valuable reports such as Charting Outcomes in the Match that help inform future applicants and the graduate medical education community.
- Login Credentials: Create a username and password to access the R3 system.
- Match Participation Agreement: Read and electronically sign the legally binding agreement. The registration process cannot be completed until the Agreement has been signed.
- Payment: Pay the registration fee and the fee to participate as a couple, if appropriate, by credit card. The couple fee also can be paid at a later date.
Registration Fee Includes:
- For the Main Residency Match, processing of up to 20 different programs on the primary rank order list and up to 20 different programs on all supplemental rank order lists combined. A fee is assessed for each additional program over 20.
- For the Specialties Matching Service®, processing of an unlimited number of ranks.
- Access to the List of Unfilled Programs (for qualifying applicants).
- Access to post-Match reports and data.
Applicants should be sure they meet all eligibility requirements in time to be verified for participation in the Match.
- View Residency Applicant Eligibility and Verification of Credentials
- View Fellowship Applicant Eligibility Requirements
Participating as a Couple
Applicants may participate in an NRMP Match as a couple if they are registered for the same Match and pay the couples fee. Participate as a couple
- Keep your username and password information in a secure place to prevent a security breach.
- Registration for a Match establishes a contractual agreement with the NRMP and all the programs included on your rank order list.
- Use the same name when registering for an NRMP Match that you use in AAMC’s ERAS and/or with the ECFMG so program directors can correctly identify you for their rank order lists.
- Reminder! Register for the Main Residency Match® prior to November 30 to avoid the late registration fee. Also, remember there is an extra per partner fee for couples in both the Main Residency Match and the Specialties Matching Service®.