To participate in The Match, a U.S. senior must meet the following requirements:
- attend a U.S. medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), and
- be on schedule to graduate and enter residency training on July 1 in the year of The Match.
Verification of credentials
The NRMP requires medical schools to verify the expected graduation date of every U.S. senior registered for The Match be verified by the NRMP school official. U.S. seniors whose graduation credentials are not verified by their schools will be withdrawn automatically by the NRMP.
Main Residency Match Events
Following are important dates and deadlines in the Main Residency Match®:
Registration opens at 12:00 p.m. ET
Applicant Early Registration Deadline at 11:59 p.m. ET
Applicants registering after November 30 will be charged a late fee
Rank order list entry begins at 12:00 p.m. ET for all users
Quota Change/Withdrawal Deadline for programs at 11:59 p.m. ET
SOAP Participation Verification Deadline for programs at 11:59 p.m. ET
Rank Order List Deadline/Applicant Late Registration Deadline at 9:00 p.m. ET
Rank order lists must be certified by 9:00 p.m. ET.
Applicants must register for or withdraw from the Main Residency Match by 9:00 p.m. ET
Match Week begins (detailed Match Week schedule here)
- Applicants find out whether they matched
- Program directors find out whether all positions filled
- The Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®) begins with release of the List of Unfilled Programs
Program directors receive their Confidential Roster of Matched Applicants
SOAP concludes at 5:00 p.m. ET
Match Day! Match results released in R3® system at 1:00 p.m. ET.
- Register for both NRMP® and ERAS®. These are separate services offered by two different organizations, and each requires its own registration.
- Use the same name when registering for an NRMP Match that you use in ERAS so program directors can correctly identify you for their rank order lists. Keep your email address and phone number current in the R3 system to ensure receipt of important reminders, notices, and Match results from the NRMP.
- Work with your medical school official if you must withdraw from the Main Residency Match. U.S. seniors must be withdrawn if they are ineligible to enter graduate medical education on July 1 in the year of the Main Residency Match or if they have accepted a position through another national matching plan. U.S. seniors cannot withdraw themselves from an NRMP Match.