Location: Regular, Full-time/Exempt, Remote
Reports to: Chief Information Officer
Supervises (Direct): Data Analysts, Data Engineers, Information architects
About the Organization
The National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) is a private, not-for-profit organization established in 1952 to provide a uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education (GME) in the United States. The NRMP is not an application processing service; rather, it provides an impartial venue for matching applicants’ and programs’ preferences for each other consistently. The NRMP conducts the annual Main Residency Match encompassing 47,000 applicants for more than 39,000 positions in core residencies as well as Matches for fellowship positions in over 70 subspecialties through its Specialties Matching Service®.
The Sr. Director, Data and Analytics will define data, information and analytics strategy, processes, and practices. Responsible for modernizing and expanding the organizations analytics offerings, skills and technologies. Key responsibilities of this role are: Working with IT Leadership and business partners to develop and manage data and influence information strategies; manage a team of data analytics staff and database professionals to help deliver products that meet business expectations; Support strategic modernization initiatives and manage the adoption of new data models, data technology, and information processes and drive data awareness in the organization.
Employee Value Proposition
- Rewards: see our engagement package here https://www.nrmp.org/about/careers/
- Opportunity: This is an exciting new role in our company to shape our information and analytics strategies and processes.
- Organization: The NRMP is a mission-based global provider of matching services incorporated in 1952
- People: A collaborative IT culture with a supportive team and genuine camaraderie to fuel us
- Work: Work on cutting edge technology to deliver our mission; Work from anywhere in the continental United States
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the establishment and execution of the roadmap for data, information architecture and data analytics that aligns with the NRMP’s vision and strategy
- Lead data engineers, analysts and architects to deliver the solutions that fulfill business information needs and align with the information vision and strategy
- Lead the development, publishing and maintenance of the organization’s information architecture, as well as a roadmap for its future development, ensuring that it matches and supports business needs.
- Nurture and support a strong data management culture with technology, high quality implementations, self-motivated innovation, problem-solving and evolve and institutionalize behaviors for the appropriate use of information around the organization.
- Collaborate with the information technology security director to create policies and controls for the appropriate protection of information assets. Protection should encompass a defined information life cycle, from acquisition or creation to end of life destruction and disposal procedures.
- Oversee the integration and staging of data, and the development and maintenance of data lakes, data warehouse and data marts, for use throughout the organization.
- Define, manage and advance enterprise information management principles, policies and programs for stewardship, advocacy and custodianship of data and analytics, in concert with legal, information security, and research.
- Identify new kinds, types and sources of data to enable business innovation throughout the organization. Define processes for the effective, integrated introduction of new data.
- Establish a collaborative working environment between the data analytics team, other IT units and research
- Remain current on data analytics techniques and become familiar with state-of-the-art data management best practices and tools
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skill Required:
Education, Training and Previous Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, data science, mathematics or a related field; Master’s preferred.
- 10-15 years experiences in information or IT management
- Hands on experience working with current relevant data management technologies such as Tableau, YellowFin, Spark, Informatica, Hadoop, Elastic Search or AWS EMR, and Extract Transform load (ETL) tools
- Experience managing major data analytics initiatives and organizational information strategies
- Broad experience desired in multiple competency areas of data and analytics delivery. Examples are data warehousing, business intelligence (BI), data governance, data architecture, data integration, data classification, data strategy, data quality management, data security and privacy, data standards, regulatory compliance and enterprise architecture frameworks.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven data literacy — The ability to describe business use cases/outcomes, data sources and management concepts, and analytical approaches/options. The ability to translate among the languages used by executive, business, IT and quant stakeholders.
- Information strategy experience — Experience in strategic technology planning and execution, and policy development and maintenance.
- Analytical skills — Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrated technology skills across business, applications, data, and infrastructure architecture domains
- High degree of proficiency in data management and data analytics methodologies and technologies
- Demonstrated understanding of enterprise data warehouse, big data, BI & analytics, content management and data management
- Excellent business acumen and interpersonal skills; able to work across business lines at a senior level to influence and effect change to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrated leadership; proven track record of leading complex, multidisciplinary talent teams in new endeavors and delivering solutions.
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude with great teamwork and interpersonal skills, reflecting the ability to interact across department groups and organizational teams.
- Gravitas to develop a framework for information and analytics governance, as well as to sell and embed it in all levels of the business.
- Frequent contact with other NRMP staff
- Frequent contact with external vendors and contractors, NRMP partners and potential and current clients
(Physical demands that must be met to successfully complete the essential functions of the job)
This position is primarily remote and sedentary. If in-person presence is required in the Washington DC office or other in-person meetings, employees must demonstrate they are vaccinated in accordance with the NRMP’s COVID-19 vaccination policy and must complete screening as per the policy. There may be occasional overnight travel and duties may require some bending and lifting.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
NRMP is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or other protected class status.