Location: Washington, DC (Remote)
Reports To: Senior Director of Research
Supervises (Direct): N/A
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the Organization
The National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) is a private, non-profit organization established in 1952 at the request of medical students to provide an orderly and fair mechanism for matching the preferences of applicants for U.S. residency positions with the preferences of residency program directors. In addition to the annual Main Residency Match® for more than 48,000 registrants, the NRMP conducts Fellowship Matches for more than 60 subspecialties through its Specialties Matching Service® (SMS®).
The NRMP is looking for a Data Analyst (DA) to oversee the preparation of publications and reports and the creation of datasets for research initiatives and analyses. The DA also will oversee the online case/data management platform and fulfill data needs for senior leadership, the NRMP Board of Directors, and external constituents (e.g., clinical training program directors and faculty).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Duties that occupy a major portion of time and are important in the job)
NRMP Data Publications (45%)
- Spearhead preparation of the annual Results and Data book for the Main Residency Match.
- Create the Advance Data Tables in advance of Match Week.
- Review, verify, and process scripts; create initial proof of report.
- Examine and/or draft new narrative that supports the tables and make recommended edits, especially with respect to changes in trends over time.
- Move the proof through the senior review process and coordinate with Communications staff when reports are ready to be published online.
- Create other related online reports, such as Match Results by State, Specialty and Applicant Type, and the five-year Program Results reports.
- Work on other reports as assigned.
- Spearhead preparation of the annual Results and Data book for the Specialties Matching Service (Note. Procedures for generating SMS Results and Data similar to those outlined above for Main Match Results and Data). Coordinate with Data Engineer to ensure Fellowship Matches have been archived in timely and appropriate fashion in the Data Warehouse for processing.
- Spearhead preparation of Charting Outcomes in the Match. Review, verify, and process scripts. Examine and refine narrative; create initial proof. Move the proof through the senior review process and coordinate with Communications staff when reports are ready to be published online.
- Generate the database tables required for Characteristics of Matched Resident/Seniors/Fellows reports. Finalize reports for upload into system by IT staff.
- In partnership with Data Engineer, generate interactive Charting Outcomes and At-A-Glance PD Survey reports in Tableau.
- Routinely audit tables in existing reports for relevance; consider new ways of presenting data and/or generating new tables for stakeholders. Refine reports in Crystal Reports to reflect enhancements.
Data Requests (40%)
- Oversee the online data request management system. Engage in training with software vendor to ensure system is designed appropriately and meets identified needs of the organization; interface regularly with research/data staff to ensure proper usage; produce tracking reports for review by senior leadership and the Board of Directors.
- Partner with compliance analyst to maintain system on behalf of the organization and serve as primary point with software vendor.
- Monitor the ‘datarequest’ email account.
- Work as needed with the Data Engineer to extract data from the NRMP Data Warehouse and respond to requests from Board members, constituents, and third parties; rely on guidance from Senior Director of Research for handling of complex requests.
- Partner with senior leadership to prepare tables, graphs, and slides as needed for use in conference presentations.
Database Maintenance (15%)
- Partner with the Data Engineer to proactively contribute to database content analysis/review and the creation of new views, tables, or reports.
- Create and maintain documentation, process maps, and runbooks of analytical processes, methods, and procedures for routine reports.
- Partner with Data Engineer and IT staff to identify and/or address data-related changes to the Data Warehouse including new data storage and updated/new data codes.
MINUMUM QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS
(Minimum education and experience needed to perform the job adequately)
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, computer science, data science or other related field with minimum 2-4 years professional experience. Background in social/behavioral or health sciences also considered.
- Experience handling/processing large data sets in Oracle.
- Proficiency in writing and troubleshooting complex queries and procedures in SQL and PL/SQL.
- Experience developing reports and analysis with Crystal Reports.
- High-level written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to bring broad knowledge of data structures to detection and troubleshooting of anomalies.
- Strong problem-solving skills to help collect, measure, organize, and analyze data.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS
- Experience with statistical software package (SPSS or SAS).
- Ability to troubleshoot report formatting in Adobe Suite.
- Knowledge of data visualization software like Tableau.
- Interaction with stakeholders to process data requests.
- Interaction with third-party software and IT vendors.
- Daily contact with NRMP staff.
- Occasional interaction with members of the Board of Directors and external consultants.
(Physical demands that must be met to successfully complete the essential functions of the job)
This position is primarily sedentary in the Washington DC office with occasional overnight travel and may require some bending and lifting.
NRMP is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or other protected class status.
For more information on NRMP, visit our website at www.nrmp.org.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com with the subject line “DATA ANALYST”