Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Chief Policy Officer
Supervises (Direct): Data and Research Analyst
Salary: Commensurate with experience
About the Organization
The National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) is a private, not-for-profit organization established in 1952 to provide a uniform date of appointment to positions in graduate medical education (GME) in the United States. The NRMP is not an application processing service; rather, it provides an impartial venue for matching applicants’ and programs’ preferences for each other consistently. The NRMP also conducts the annual Main Residency Match encompassing 40,000 applicants for more than 25,000 positions in core residencies, as well as Matches for fellowship positions in 55 subspecialties through its Specialties Matching Service®.
The Director of Research supports the Board of Directors’ Data Release and Research Committee (DRRC) and the DRRC Research Advisory Committee (RAC) in the development of a research agenda and collaborative research projects with other national medical education organizations. The Director also oversees the development and publication of NRMP’s data reports and scholarly articles, manages the Data Warehouse, and fulfills external data requests from stakeholders. This position reports to the Chief Policy Officer and supervises one Senior Data and Research Analyst.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Duties that occupy a major portion of time and are important in the job)
Research and Publications (35%)
Assist the DRRC and RAC in defining NRMP’s research agenda and implementing NRMP research priorities. Provide staff support for the Committees by preparing meeting agendas and materials
Promote research collaboration between NRMP and other national organizations. Lead efforts to work with staff from other organizations on the design and implementation of studies benefitting the undergraduate and graduate medical education communities
Prepare for review by senior management peer-reviewed articles describing aspects of the matching process that are of interest to the medical education community for publication in scholarly journals
Develop longitudinal studies by evaluating trends in applicant and program Match outcome data
Present research findings at national conferences
Data Analysis and Reports (35%)
Spearhead dissemination of NRMP reports and publication
Supervise Senior Data and Research Analyst in preparation of reports (e.g., Results and Data Book, Charting Outcomes in the Match)
Finalize data analyses and oversee hard copy mailings and posting of publications to NRMP public website
Supervise large-scale biennial applicant survey and program director survey; finalize analyses and prepare reports for DRRC review and posting to public website. Design and supervise data collection through other ad hoc surveys as needed
Monitor availability of new technology and software applications to develop new data tools that will enhance the matching experience of NRMP constituents
Update existing statistical reports related to applicants and graduate medical education programs for NRMP leadership and Board of Directors, NRMP constituents, and the greater medical education community; promote on NRMP public website
Prepare tables, graphs, and slides as needed for NRMP leadership to use in conference presentations
Data Storage and Quality Control (20%)
Maintain data quality of the NRMP Data Warehouse by working with IT staff and database administrators on scheduled and unscheduled database maintenance
Safeguard NRMP Match data for the Main Residency Match and all Fellowship Matches in the Data Warehouse environment; identify and report any issues
Ensure adherence to the DRRC Data Policy when responding to requests for and access to NRMP data
- Ensure the integrity of NRMP Match data usage by reviewing and editing manuscripts/presentations using NRMP data and granting/denying permission before submission for publication
Supervise and review the work of the Senior Data and Research Analyst. Train and mentor new staff
Assist the Chief Policy Officer and work with the Office Coordinator in the planning and preparation of DRRC/RAC meetings.
Candidate Qualifications Sought
- Master’s or doctoral degree in education or a social science discipline with experience in survey research, statistical analysis, data presentation, and database management. Bachelor’s degree with 10-15 years progressive experience may be substituted for graduate education
- Experience working with large data files and in planning and executing studies involving research design, statistical analyses, data reporting, and report writing
- Expertise in the use of statistical programs and databases, and in data graphing and data presentation software
- Experience with Oracle SQL/PL SQL, Crystal Reports, Tableau, Microsoft Office Suite, and with a statistical package. Familiarity with TOAD and SPSS a plus
- Experience supervising, training, and mentoring junior staff
- High-level written and verbal communication skills; prior public speaking experience highly desirable. The incumbent must be able to present data clearly in both written and oral communications
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, develop, and implement a research agenda
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple projects while adhering to tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other researchers to jointly refine research proposals and data requests
- Familiarity with undergraduate and graduate medical education and the residency selection process highly desirable
- Routine interaction with NRMP applicants, medical school student affairs deans, residency program directors and coordinators
- Routine interaction with the NRMP Data Release and Research Committee and the Research Advisory Committee
- Periodic interaction with staff of other national health care organizations and researchers in academia
- Frequent interaction with other NRMP staff in monitoring data warehouse, generating data tables and graphs, and publishing data reports.
(Physical demands that must be met to successfully complete the essential functions of the job)
This position is primarily sedentary in the Washington DC office with occasional overnight travel and may require some bending and lifting.
NRMP is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or other protected class status.
For more information on NRMP, visit our website at www.nrmp.org.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “SENIOR DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH”