Shining a Light on Match News that Matters
This issue of the Illuminator includes:
- 2023 Main Residency Match deadlines
- Ranking webinar for programs
- Fellowship Match news
- NRMP’s 70th anniversary
- Upcoming deadlines
2023 Main Residency Match Deadlines
The NRMP would like to remind Main Residency Match participants of the upcoming deadlines:
Quota Change and Withdrawal, Joint A/P, and SOAP Participation Status Deadline for Programs
January 31 at 11:59 p.m. ET is an important deadline for programs in the 2023 Main Residency Match:
- Quota Change and Withdrawal Deadline: Programs must log into the NRMP’s R3 system and review their quota or withdraw from the Match by January 31, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Programs cannot make changes to their quota after this deadline unless in cases of extreme emergency (i.e. loss of funding).
- Setting Up a Joint A/P Arrangement Deadline: The R3 system offers institutions and programs in the Main Residency Match the option to link an advanced PGY-2 program with a preliminary PGY-1 program. Linking a preliminary position with an advanced training position allows programs to create a training pathway at the same institution for applicants interested in specialties that begin in the PGY-2 year.
- SOAP Participation Status Deadline: Programs that intend to participate in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) if they do not fill all their positions once the matching algorithm is processed, must set the program’s SOAP Participation Status to “Yes” in the R3 system. As a reminder – if the program chooses not to participate in SOAP, the programs will not be able to fill any positions until after SOAP concludes.
Standard Registration Deadline for Applicants
Applicants who do not register for the 2023 Main Residency Match before January 31, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. ET will incur an additional fee of $50 for late registration; however, they will be able to register for the Match until the Rank Order List Certification Deadline on March 1, 2023 at 9 pm ET. Applicants should be aware that when ranking opens on February 1, 2023, programs will not be able to rank applicants who are not registered with the NRMP.
Assistance is available from the NRMP Support Team Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 866-653-NRMP (6767).
Ranking Webinar for Main Residency Match Programs
The NRMP is hosting an educational webinar about ranking for programs on January 24. Please join Jeanette Calli, Chief of Match Operations, and David Dojcsak-Sparks, Senior Director of Policy and Compliance, as they provide information on the ranking functionality in the R3 system, information about quota changes and withdrawals, setting SOAP participation status, creating and certifying a rank order list, Match policies, and more.
An email invitation with additional details was sent to all Main Residency Match program and institution staff registered in the R3 system. Contact email@example.com for registration assistance.
Fellowship Match News
Updated Match Participation Agreements for Fellowship Matches Opening after January 1, 2023
As part of the NRMP’s registration process, all Match participants must electronically sign the Match Participation Agreement. The Match Participation Agreements are designed to ensure a fair and equitable matching process by establishing rules all participants must follow.
The NRMP has updated the Specialties Matching Service Match Participation Agreements for Applicants, Programs, and Institutions for Fellowship Matches that open after January 1, 2023.
Welcoming Two New Specialties to the NRMP’s Specialties Matching Service
The NRMP welcomes Forensic Pathology and Epilepsy and Clinical Neurophysiology to the Specialties Matching Service for their first ever participation in the Match!
Institutional Officials should reach out to their programs to ensure they are participating in the new Match. A new specialty newsletter with additional details will be sent to Forensic Pathology programs and Epilepsy and Clinical Neurophysiology programs in advance of the Match opening.
NRMP’s 70th Anniversary
The NRMP kicked off a year-long 70th anniversary celebration by interviewing attendees at the Transition to Residency stakeholder conference in October. Listen to what constituents have to say about the long-standing history of the NRMP and why we’re celebrating 70 years of the Match.
Watch the video
We need your historical Match photos and materials! If you have any archived Match photos, videos, or other communication materials that you would like to share with the NRMP, we’d love to hear from you! We are looking for historical Match photos to share during the year-long 70th anniversary campaign. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and materials you would like to share!
Psychiatry, Sports Medicine
- January 11, 12:00 p.m. ET: Match Day
Main Residency Match Standard Registration Deadline, Quota Change and Withdrawal, Joint A/P, and SOAP Participation Status Deadline
- January 31, 11:59 p.m. ET