The NRMP offers several ways for both residency and fellowship leadership to manage their programs through the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system.
Registering and Activating Institutions and Programs
When a Match opens, institution and program users can register their individual user account, sign the Match Participation Agreement, and review program details in the R3 system. Institutional officials must also complete the following tasks:
- If a new user, redeem the email token sent by NRMP to register and create a username and personal password
- Electronically sign the Match Participation Agreement
- Activate programs for Match participation
- Add new programs and designate non-participating programs
- Update program staff where necessary
- Notify program directors to log in to the R3 system and complete the Match registration process
Helpful Resources for Program Activation and Updates
Activating Institutions and Programs support guide
Adding a Program support guide
Adding and Maintaining Program Directors support guide
Adding and Maintaining Program Coordinators support guide
Adding and Maintaining Institutional Administrators support guide
Managing Change Approvals for Programs
Institutional officials are responsible for approving changes in the R3 system for each of the institution’s Match-participating programs. Institutional official s are notified about pending change approvals by email and an alert triangle next to the program(s) requiring approvals in the R3 system.
Change Approvals support guide
Program Changes Requiring Approval
- Changing the quota, or number of positions to be filled
- Entering or changing reversion to “revert” or donate unfilled positions to another program or program track
- Withdrawing or reinstating a program
- Selecting or changing the SOAP participation status of the program (Main residency Match only)
Deadlines for Change Approvals
Deadlines for program changes requiring approval are listed below. Be sure to visit the appropriate Match calendars page for specific dates. Since program directors cannot certify a rank order list if the program has change approvals pending, institutional officials are encouraged not to wait until the last minute to approve changes.
- Quota Change Deadline: quota changes, program withdrawals, SOAP participation
- Rank Order List Certification Deadline: reversions
Exceptions for Quota Changes
The NRMP will change quotas after the applicable Quota Change Deadline only in cases of extreme emergency such as loss of funding or loss of accreditation or if the ACGME approves an increase in resident/fellowship complement. Request for exceptions must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by the institutional official or the program director with the institutional official copies.