Program eligibility differs for the Main Residency Match and the Specialties Matching Service, but the NRMP offers several ways for both residency and fellowship leadership to manage their programs through the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system.
Program Eligibility for the Main Residency Match
To participate in the Main Residency Match, a program must be either
- accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME®); or
- a combined program that is approved or recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties or by the respective specialty board that is responsible for board certification of residents who successfully complete the combined program.
Each program must meet these requirements by the Rank order List Certification Deadline. A program cannot enroll in the Match until the designated institutional official has registered with the NRMP through the Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system.
Program Eligibility for Fellowship Matches
To be eligible to offer positions through a Specialties Matching Service® Fellowship Match, programs in a specialty must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- accredited by the ACGME or another entity deemed acceptable to NRMP;
- affiliated with an ACGME-accredited program in the primary discipline; or
- lead to certification or endorsement and oversight by a board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS®).
NRMP may be selective in determining which programs are eligible to participate in the SMS for that specialty. When executing the NRMP Program Directors’ Annual Participation Agreement, Fellowship Match sponsors commit to active participation of at least 75 percent of the groups’ eligible programs and a minimum of 75 percent of all available positions in the specialty for a given year.
Adding a New Program to the Match
There are two ways for a new program to be added to the Match:
- Programs new to the Match can complete a New Program Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The information provided on the form will allow NRMP to create a record in the R3 system and add your program to the appropriate Match.
- Programs and additional tracks can be added to an open Match by the Institutional Official or Institutional Administrator.