Match Week for the Main Residency Match® takes place the third week in March. It is the period of time beginning at 10:00 a.m. ET on Monday and ending at 12:00 p.m. ET on Friday when applicants and programs learn the results of the Match.
Positions left unfilled after the matching algorithm has been processed are offered to eligible applicants through the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®). School officials should spend time familiarizing themselves with Match Week information and resources so they are prepared to help students who do not match.
Match-Related Reports for Schools
NRMP makes a wealth of reports available for school officals throughout the Match process and during Match Week specifically. Click the Support Guide link for information on how to access reports in the R3 system.
Match Status Notification
Monday of Match Week
At 9:30 AM ET, school officials can access their Unmatched Applicants Report (embargoed until 10:00 AM ET) in the R3 system. At 10:00 AM ET, applicants learn if they matched, and schools can access the List of Unfilled Programs in the R3 system. Medical school staff are invited to join the NRMP, AMA, AAMC, AACOM, AOA Match Week celebration by sharing messages, photos, and videos using #Match2023.
Match Week for SOAP-Eligible Applicants
Monday through Thursday of Match Week
Partially matched and fully unmatched applicants who meet eligibility requirements may participate in SOAP to try to obtain an unfilled residency position. School officials should advise applicants to familiarize themselves with the SOAP schedule and resources prior to Match Week. At 9:00 a.m. ET on Wednesday, schools can begin viewing the SOAP Schools Report (updated in real time) to track students/graduates.
- At 10:00 AM ET on Monday, SOAP-eligible applicants can access the List of Unfilled Programs in the R3 system. SOAP applicants are encouraged to consult with their medical school advisors.
- At 11:00 AM ET on Monday, SOAP applicants can prepare and send up to 45 applications in the ERAS system. Programs can begin viewing SOAP applications in ERAS on Tuesday at 8:00 AM ET.
- SOAP applicants are prohibited from using any means other than ERAS to apply to programs and must refrain from any other contact until programs initiate contact with them. School officials or other entities acting on the applicant’s behalf also must refrain from contacting programs. Violations of SOAP policy will be investigated.
- Programs contact applicants in whom they are interested. Programs vary in how they manage the SOAP process: brief telephone or online interviews are common. Program directors cannot ask applicants to indicate whether they will accept an offer if one is extended through SOAP. Interviews begin on Tuesday and continue through Wednesday.
- At 9:00 a.m. ET on Thursday, applicants begin receiving offers through the R3. Offers are extended in order of a program’s preference list and according to the number of unfilled positions remaining in the program. Applicants do not create preference lists during SOAP.
- SOAP includes four Offer Rounds: 9:00 AM ET, 12:00 PM ET, 3:00 PM ET, and 6:00 PM ET on Thursday.
- For each Offer Round, applicants have two hours to accept or reject offers in the R3 system. Offers not accepted or rejected expire automatically.
- Offers can be viewed and accepted using a mobile device.
- Offers rejected or expired will not be extended again to the same applicant in future SOAP Offer Rounds.
- Positions offered and accepted during SOAP establish a binding commitment enforced by the Match Participation Agreement.
- The List of Unfilled Programs is updated five minutes after the end of each SOAP Offer Round.
- SOAP concludes at 9:00 PM ET on Thursday.
Match Reports & Notification Letters
Thursday of Match Week
At 8:00 AM ET, schools can access the R3 system to obtain confidential Match results reports, Match notification letters, and the embargoed Advance Data Tables.
Friday of Match Week
At 12:00 PM ET, medical schools may host Match Day ceremonies. At 12:00 PM ET, Match results are sent by email to applicants, and applicants can use a mobile device to access their results in the NRMP R3 system.
Calendar for Medical Schools
See dates, information, Help and Policies specific to Medical Schools in the Main Match.