Participation in the Match requires a nominal fee for applicants, programs, and institutions.
Registration and payment of fees affords applicants access to the NRMP Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system and Match-specific data and reports. Match participation is allowed only after payment information has been entered through the R3 system and processed successfully.
- Standard Registration Fee: $70
- In the Main Residency Match, includes the listing of up to 20 unique NRMP program codes on the primary rank order list and up to 20 unique NRMP codes on all supplemental rank order lists combined.
- In the SMS Fellowship Matches, includes the listing of up to 20 unique program codes on the rank order list.
- Extra Rank Fee: For each NRMP program code ranked over 20, NRMP charges an extra rank fee of $30 per program code up to the maximum of 300 ranks.
- Late Registration Fee (Main Residency Match only): $50 additional after January 31
- Couples’ Fee: Applicants who wish to participate in the Match as a couple pay an additional $45 per partner.
- Length of Rank Order List Fee: For rank order lists with 100 or more ranks, the following additional charges apply:
- 100-150 ranks: $50
- 151-200 ranks: $100
- 201-250 ranks: $150
- 251-300 ranks: $200
ALL Match fees are non-refundable. The couples’ fee is due immediately upon requesting or accepting couple status. The extra rank fee and the length of rank order list fee are due immediately upon certifying the rank order lists. Lists that have been certified with extra fees cannot be modified later with the intent to remove extra fees. All applicants should carefully consider a decision to include extra ranks on a rank order list or participate in a Match as a couple. Applicants in the Main Residency Match should register early to avoid the late registration fee.
The registration process requires that all fees be paid in U.S. dollars by credit card through the R3 system.
- Applicants with outstanding fees will not be able to enter rank order lists or be ranked by programs until all fees have been paid in full.
- Applicants who authorize a credit card chargeback of NRMP fees without NRMP consent may be barred permanently from participation in future Matches.
- Applicants who are withdrawn from the Main Residency Match or the SMS due to unpaid fees (including credit card chargebacks) will not be allowed access to the List of Unfilled Programs and will not be eligible to participate in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®).
Institution and Program Fees
At the conclusion of each Match, the NRMP institutional official and billing contact, if one has been designated, will receive an invoice. Institutional officials are responsible for approving invoices and ensuring all billing contact information is accurate in the Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system.
It is recommended that institutional officials review and update billing contact information before Match Day for each Match to ensure receipt of the invoice. In addition, institutional officials should ensure the institution accounting department has NRMP’s current mailing address and the IT department has added firstname.lastname@example.org to the safe senders list.
- Institution Registration Fee: $250 per Match
- Program Registration Fee: $60 per program track
- Per Applicant Matched to Program: $60
Payments for institution and program fees should be made through a self-service system or NRMP’s Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system. NRMP now accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, ACH, and wire payments. A link to the self-service payment system will be included on your emailed institutional invoice.
Checks and money orders should be remitted to the following lockbox addresses:
National Resident Matching Program
P.O. Box 411121
Boston, MA 02241-1121
Courier Deliver Only Address
Bank of America Lockbox Services
National Resident Matching Program 411121
2 Morrissey Blvd
Dorchester, MA 02125
A 10 percent late fee will be levied against all institutions if NRMP has not received payment in full by 60 days from the date of the Match invoice. If an institution owes fees for any previous Match beyond 90 days, the institution and all of its programs will be barred from ALL NRMP Matches until payment for the Match and all late fees are received by the NRMP. No exceptions will be made, regardless of the type of institution.