Types of program positions in the Main Match:
- Categorical Position (“C”): Post graduate year one (PGY-1) position that provides the full training required for board certification in a specialty.
- Primary Position (“M”): PGY-1 position in Medicine and Pediatrics that provides a training emphasis on primary care.
- Preliminary Position (“P”): One-year position in a Transitional Year or specialty program.
- Advanced Position (“A”): Position in a specialty program that begins the year after the Match and after one or more years of required preliminary training.
- Reserved Positions (“R”): PGY-2 positions in specialty programs that begin in the year of the Match and are reserved for physicians with prior graduate medical education. These positions are also known as “Physician Positions”.