To participate in a Match, applicants must use the NRMP’s secure Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system to register and create a Username and Password. The R3 system can be accessed directly or by clicking the orange “LOGIN/REGISTER” button at the top of the screen. Applicants who participated in a previous Match must re-register in the R3 system for each Match, but are able to choose the same username and password as part of the registration process.
Applicants should first register with and complete an Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®) application if that is how the program is accepting applications. An NRMP ID IS NOT required to submit ERAS applications; however, Match applicants MUST have an AAMC ID to register with NRMP for the Main Residency Match®. After registering with NRMP, applicants should log back in to ERAS and update their profile with their NRMP ID to make it easier for program directors to identify them for placement on the program’s rank order lists.
The following identification numbers are REQUIRED for registration:
- USMLE® ID for U.S. allopathic students/graduates;
- ECFMG ID for international medical school students/graduates (IMGS); and
- AOA ID and NBOME® ID for U.S. osteopathic students/graduates.
Note: USMLE ID is not required for IMGs, but it can be entered. It is the same as the ECFMG ID.
The Registration Process
Registration is a multi-step process:
- Select a Match: Identify in the R3 system the Match for which you want to register.
- Participant Type: Indicate the type of medical school attended, citizenship status, and the date of graduation from medical school (or expected date if a senior).
- Professional Profile: Provide basic profile information, including name, date of birth, AAMC ID, exam scores (e.g., USMLE ID, ECFMG ID, or NBOME ID), and work and volunteer experiences.
- Profile information can be updated at any time during the Match process. Email addresses and phone numbers must remain current in the R3 system.
- Applicants are encouraged to check YES for informed consent so that NRMP can use professional profile information for research purposes. The data will allow NRMP to continue publishing valuable reports such as Charting Outcomes in the Match that help inform future applicants and the graduate medical education community.
- Login Credentials: Create a username and password to access the R3 system.
- Match Participation Agreement: Read and electronically sign the legally binding agreement. The registration process cannot be completed until the Agreement has been signed.
- Payment: Pay the registration fee and the fee to participate as a couple, if appropriate, by credit card. The couple fee also can be paid at a later date.
The Registration Fee
Applicant Match fees provide access to the R3 system, the ability to participate in the Match as a couple, and access to Match-related reports.
- Keep your username and password information in a secure place to prevent a security breach.
- Use the same name when registering for an NRMP Match that you use in AAMC’s ERAS and/or with the ECFMG so program directors can correctly identify you for their rank order lists.