Participation in an NRMP Match requires payment of a nominal fee at the time of registration. The registration process requires that all fees be paid in U.S. dollars by credit card through the Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system. Match participation is allowed only after credit card information has been entered through the R3 system and processed successfully.
Registration and payment of fees entitles applicants to the following NRMP® services:
- Access to the NRMP R3 system
- In the Main Residency Match®, processing of up to 20 unique program ranks on the primary rank order list and up to 20 programs on all supplemental lists combined. A fee is incurred for each additional program ranked on the primary ROL and for each additional program on all supplemental ROLs combined.
- In the Specialties Matching Service®(SMS), processing of an unlimited number of programs.
For Matches opening after June 30, 2016 and before July 1, 2017
- Standard Registration Fee (Main Residency Match and SMS): $75
- Late Registration Fee (Main Residency Match only): $50 additional after November 30
- Couples (Main Residency Match and SMS): $15 additional per partner
- Additional programs ranked (Main Residency Match only): $30 additional per program
ALL Match fees are non-refundable. Applicants in the Main Residency Match should register early to avoid the late registration fee. All applicants should carefully consider a decision to participate in a Match as a couple or to include extra ranks on a rank order list.
- Applicants with outstanding fees will not be able to enter rank order lists or be ranked by programs until all fees have been paid in full.
- Applicants who authorize a credit card chargeback of NRMP fees without NRMP consent may be barred permanently from participation in future Matches.
- Applicants who are withdrawn from the Main Residency Match or the SMS due to unpaid fees (including credit card chargebacks) will not be allowed access to the List of Unfilled Programs and will not be eligible to participate in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®).
Program and institutional fees will be invoiced at the conclusion of each Match to the NRMP institutional official and billing contact, if one has been designated. Institutional officials are responsible for approving invoices and ensuring all billing contact information is accurate in the R3 system.
It is recommended that institutional officials review and update billing contact information before Match Day for each Match to ensure receipt of the invoice. In addition, institutional officials should ensure the institution accounting department has NRMP’s current mailing address and the IT department has included firstname.lastname@example.org to the safe senders list.
For Matches opening before July 1, 2017
- Institution Registration Fee: $230 per Match
- Program Registration Fee: $50 per program track
- Per Applicant Matched to Program: $50
NRMP accepts payment via check, money order, wire, ACH, Visa, and MasterCard for institution and program fees.
- Wire Details: Bank of America, Routing Number 0260-0959-3, Account Number 226005778784 (checking) Swift Code BOFAUS3N. (Please include Invoice number)
- ACH Details: Bank of America, Routing Number 054001204, Account Number 226005778784 (checking) Swift Code BOFAUS3N. (Please include Invoice number)
A 10 percent late fee will be levied against all institutions if NRMP has not received payment in full by 60 days from the date of the Match invoice. If an institution owes fees for any previous Match beyond 90 days, the institution and ALL of its programs will be barred from ALL NRMP Matches until payment for the Match and all late fees are received by the NRMP. No exceptions will be made, regardless of the type of institution.
262DAYS TO MATCH DAY!
APPLY TO PROGRAMS
Most applications for residency positions are transmitted by using the AAMC’s Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®). Visit the ERAS website for information about the application process.
REGISTER FOR THE MATCH
Registration for the 2017 Main Residency Match® opens on September 15, 2016. You must complete the registration process, electronically sign the Match Participation Agreement, and pay Match fees in order to participate in the Main Residency Match. To avoid the $50 late fee, register by November 30.
Interviews typically begin in October and continue through January. NRMP policy requires applicants to provide complete, timely, and accurate information to programs. During this time, the credentials of applicants are verified by their medical schools or, in the case of international medical school student/graduates, by the ECFMG®. Ranking opens in the R3® system on January 15, 2017.
CERTIFY YOUR RANK ORDER LIST
The Rank Order List/Applicant Registration Deadline is February 22, 2017 at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time. You must have a certified rank order list on file in the R3 system for it to be used when the matching algorithm is processed. You also must register for or withdraw from the Main Residency Match by 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
Between the Rank Order List Deadline and Match Week, the NRMP confirms the integrity and completeness of Match data, processes the matching algorithm, verifies Match results, and creates more than 42,000 individual reports for Match participants. Now that your rank order list is certified, consider how to prepare for Match Day.
Match Week begins on Monday, March 13, 2017, when applicants learn whether they matched to a program. For unmatched eligible candidates, the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®) also begins. Match Day is Friday, March 17, 2017.
Apply to Programs
The NRMP is not an application service or a job placement service. Applicants must apply directly to fellowship programs in addition to registering for the Match. Check with the programs to find out how they want to receive applications. Some fellowships use AAMC’s Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®). Others use their own application. Applicants must register with both NRMP and ERAS to participate in the services of each organization.
Select and Register for a Match
SMS Matches are conducted throughout the year, and applicants must complete the registration process in NRMP’s Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system, electronically sign the Match Participation Agreement, and pay Match fees. Applicants also must meet the prerequisites for training that are specific to their preferred specialty.
Interview dates are set by programs. NRMP policy requires applicants to provide complete, timely, and accurate information to programs during the application and interview process. In addition, programs are expected to provide complete, timely, and accurate information to applicants, including a copy of the contract the applicant will be expected to sign if matched to the program and all institutional/program policies for appointment to the position.
Enter and Certify Your Rank Order List
After completing interviews, a rank order list (preference list of programs) must be created and certified in the R3® system. Each SMS Match has its own Rank Order List Deadline. A rank order list must be certified by the deadline to be used when the matching algorithm is processed. Withdrawals from the Match also MUST be completed by the Rank Order List Deadline.
On Match Day for each SMS Match, applicants can log in to the R3® system at 12:00 p.m. ET to learn where they matched or, if necessary, to view the List of Unfilled Programs. A List of Unmatched Applicants also is available for programs that do not fill all positions.
- Match Registration: Applicants
- Match Registration: Programs, Institutions, and Schools
- Residency Overview