The NRMP requires all Match participants to behave in an ethical and professionally responsible manner. Alleged breaches of Match policy are taken seriously and are subject to violation investigation. For detailed information about the investigative process, please review the Policies and Procedures for Reporting, Investigation, and Disposition of Violations of NRMP Agreements. Suspected violations of NRMP policy should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants can fill out the Violation Report Form for Applicants.
FREQUENT POLICY BREACHES
Violations most commonly reported to the NRMP include:
- An applicant does not withdraw from the Match and applies for, discusses, interviews for, or accepts a concurrent year position after the Rank Order List Certification Deadline and/or Match Day
- Applicants contact programs outside of ERAS during SOAP
- An applicant or a program declines to honor the binding match commitment
- An applicant posts Match information on a website or listserv without NRMP authorization
- An applicant fails to provide complete, timely, and accurate information to programs
- An applicant gives notice of resignation, resigns, or vacates a position within 45 days of the start date specified in the appointment contract
- A program asks an applicant to reveal the names, specialties, geographic location, or other identifying information about programs to which the applicant has or may apply
- A program offers a position to an applicant who is matched to a concurrent year position in another program
Read Violations Case Summaries for additional examples.
The NRMP is authorized to levy sanctions against applicants, programs, medical schools, and institutions with confirmed violations of policy. Sanctions include:
- Barring an applicant from accepting or starting a position in any program sponsored by a Match-participating institution
- Barring applicants or programs from participation in future NRMP Matches
- Identification of applicants, programs, and institutions in the R3 system as a Match violator
Review the Sanctions Guidelines for additional information about how sanctions are levied.
Questions about the violation investigation process can be directed to (202) 400-2235 or email@example.com.