March 2023 Illuminator
Shining a Light on Match News that Matters
This issue of the Illuminator includes:
- NRMP’s 70th anniversary
- Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP) reminders
- Match Week and SOAP joint webinar with ERAS
- Match Week and SOAP listserv registration
- NRMP’s Transition to Residency Conference
- Upcoming deadlines
- Careers at NRMP
Rank Order List Certification Deadline is March 1 for the Main Residency Match
The Rank Order List Certification Deadline is March 1 at 9:00 p.m. ET for programs and applicants.
A few reminders:
- Changes can be made to a ROL after it has been certified and before 9:00 p.m. ET; however, if a certified ROL is changed in any way, the new version must be re-certified before the ROL Certification Deadline.
- Changes cannot be made after 9:00 p.m. ET on the Rank Order List Certification Deadline.
- Only certified ROLs will be used in the Match.
NRMP’s 70th Anniversary
New Publication! Research Brief: Applicant Demographics and the Transition to Residency: It’s Time to Leverage Data on Preferred Specialty and Match Outcomes to Inform the National Conversation about Diversity and Equity in Medical Education
This Research Brief outlines the NRMP’s demographic data collection effort and highlights select first-year findings from initial analyses of ten specialties. The Brief also provides takeaways, including how the first-year findings provide new insight into and perspective on the current state of diversity and equity in medical education.
New Video! The NRMP also has published its third video in a year-long campaign celebrating the 70-year history of the NRMP. The video describes NRMP’s collection of demographic data about gender and dives into an in-depth discussion about gender and Match results.
Watch the video
We need your historical Match photos and materials! If you have archived Match photos, videos, or other communication materials that you would like to share with the NRMP, we’d love to hear from you! We are looking for historical Match materials to share during the year-long 70th anniversary campaign. Please contact email@example.com with any questions and materials you would like to share!
Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®) Reminders and Resources
The Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®) provides a uniform system for programs to offer unfilled positions to eligible unmatched or partially matched applicants through a series of offer rounds during Match Week. Be sure to check the Match Week and SOAP schedule for detailed information.
There are specific policies that govern SOAP and some of the policy highlights include:
- Program staff may initiate contact with SOAP-eligible applicants only after receiving the applicant’s ERAS application during SOAP.
- Neither applicants nor their representatives may contact or communicate with the program until the program has first initiated contact.
- Programs may not ask applicants to indicate whether they will accept an offer if one is extended during SOAP.
- Offers extended during SOAP constitute a binding commitment if the offer is accepted during a SOAP Offer Round.
- Only SOAP-eligible applicants who applied to programs during SOAP can be offered unfilled positions until SOAP concludes on Thursday, March 16 at 9:00 p.m. ET. Those positions must be offered and accepted only through the NRMP’s R3 system.
- Fully unmatched SOAP-eligible applicants who want to pursue interests other than clinical residency training; see Section 8.4 of the Match Participation Agreement for Programs
The NRMP has a variety of resources to assist Match participants with the SOAP process:
- Joint NRMP and ERAS SOAP Guide for Programs
- Joint NRMP and ERAS SOAP Guide for Applicants
- SOAP Resources for Programs webpage
- Program Policy Pitfalls – SOAP video
- Match Week for Schools webpage
Navigating Match Week and SOAP Webinar on March 3 at 1 pm ET
Join staff from the NRMP and AAMC ERAS staff for a joint webinar to learn about preparing for Match Week, obtaining your program’s Match results, and navigating the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP).
NRMP and AAMC ERAS staff will answer questions following the presentation. Space is limited so register today. If you are unable to attend or the webinar is full, a recording of the webinar will be posted to the NRMP website at www.nrmp.org.
Match Week and SOAP Listserv
NRMP and AAMC ERAS staff are partnering again this year to host the Match Week and SOAP Listserv. The Listserv is the official source for all Match Week and SOAP information, where questions can be asked and answered in real time. The Listserv is “opt in” for medical school and program staff/faculty and is not intended for applicants.
Those interested in participating in the Listserv should register before the start of Match Week on Monday, March 13. Review the Listserv webpage for details on how to register and best practices for posting to and using the Listserv.
Save the Date! NRMP’s Transition to Residency Conference
The NRMP invites you to attend its national stakeholder conference on October 5 – 7, 2023 in Boston!
The Transition to Residency Conference offers a forum for robust conversation around the challenges facing the transition to residency and networking among undergraduate and graduate medical education communities. Stay tuned for more information about registration and the launch of the conference website.
Main Residency Match
- March 1, 9:00 p.m. ET: Rank Order List Certification Deadline
Forensic Pathology, Laryngology, Pediatric Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Vascular Neurology
- March 22, 12:00 p.m. ET: Ranking Opens
Epilepsy and Clinical Neurophysiology, Hand Surgery
- March 29, 12:00 p.m. ET: Ranking Opens
Careers at NRMP
NRMP is growing to meet the needs of the community. We currently have one position open:
- Human Resources Manager
For more information, please visit our Careers page. NRMP is an equal opportunity employer.