The Basics: How SOAP Works
During Match Week, unmatched and partially matched applicants registered for the Main Residency Match® with verified credentials may participate in the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®) to try to obtain an unfilled residency position.
- Applicants express preferences by applying to programs using ERAS®.
- Based upon the ERAS applications they receive, program directors create preference lists of applicants in the Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system.
- The R3 system offers positions to applicants in a series of rounds in order of each program’s preference list and according to the number of unfilled positions remaining in the program during each round.
- Applicants can receive multiple offers in any round and have two hours to accept or reject an offer.
- SOAP® concludes at 11:00 a.m. ET on Thursday of Match Week.
- The dynamic List of Unfilled Programs will be available in the R3 system beginning at 12:00 p.m. ET on Thursday of Match Week for ALL unmatched applicants, regardless of SOAP® participation status. All programs will be shown, including those that did not participate in SOAP. Program directors can update the number of unfilled positions as they are filled.
Key Policy Reminder: Positions offered and accepted during SOAP establish a binding commitment enforced by the Match Participation Agreement.