Shining a Light on Match News that Matters
This issue of the Illuminator includes:
- Board nominations
- Charting Outcomes™: Applicant Survey Results, 2023 Main Residency Match®
- Policy reminders about interviews
- Updates to the 2024 Match Participation Agreements
- Upload rising seniors for medical schools
- Introduction to the 2024 Main Residency Match for Residency Programs webinar recording
- Fall NRMP-DIO call
- NRMP’s 70th anniversary
- Transition to Residency conference
- Upcoming deadlines
- Careers at NRMP
Call for Nominations – NRMP Board of Directors
The NRMP Board of Directors is seeking nominations for the following seats:
- Three Senior Directors
- One Resident Physician Director
- One Medical Student Director
- Must be a student of an osteopathic medical school
The NRMP is seeking individuals who are enthusiastic about medical education and eager to contribute to discussions about the transition to residency! If this is you or someone you know, check out the Board Nominations page for information about qualifications, link to online applications, and directions for submitting nominee packets.
The NRMP Board of Directors advances, evaluates, and responds to issues central to the Match and ensures processes meet the needs of the GME community. The NRMP Board continues to seek out and elect individuals who can bring unique experiences and perspectives to the issues facing the organization and who represent constituencies of the academic medical community. Nominations are due November 1, 2023.
NRMP Publishes Charting Outcomes™: Applicant Survey Results, 2023 Main Residency Match®
The National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) is pleased to share the new Charting Outcomes™: Applicant Survey Results, 2023 Main Residency Match®.
For the first time, the NRMP has reported the results of the 2023 Main Residency Match Applicant Survey in an interactive format, using data visualization software. The visualizations draw from the survey questions asked of applicants registered for the Main Residency Match, offering insights into the factors applicants consider in applying to and ranking programs. An Introduction and Summary document highlights the findings and results of the report.
This report is just one of several new reports in the Charting Outcomes™ interactive data tools. We hope you find the interactive data tools a valuable resource as you participate in the Match.
Policy Corner: Main Residency Match Interview Policies
As the NRMP embarks on another exciting Match season, we’d like to highlight one of the many important Match policies that programs and institutions should be mindful of when navigating recruitment.
In the 2023 Main Residency Match cycle, the NRMP incorporated a new policy around the interview period to bring clarity and guidance to the interview process and minimize unnecessary pressure. Below are interview policy highlights and helpful tips for programs participating in the 2024 Main Residency Match to keep in mind when engaging interview offers and acceptances.
What Residency Programs Need to Know:
- Programs shall extend interview offers that equal, not exceed, the total number of available interview slots. Only one interview invitation can be extended per interview slot; first-come-first-serve practices are not permissible. This does not preclude the use of a wait list; however, programs must make transparent the process for wait list candidates and must adhere to the interview policies when extending interview offers to wait list candidates.
- Programs shall provide applicants no less than 48 hours to accept or reject an interview invitation. This provides reasonable time for applicants to consider their options and respects those international medical graduates who reside outside of the U.S. as well as the clinical and academic obligations for all applicants.
- Programs shall apply reasonable measures of notification (e.g., one-to-two weeks’ notice) when needing to cancel or reschedule an interview. Programs are encouraged to avoid last-minute cancellations, regardless of virtual or in-person interviews.
How Programs Can Avoid Violating the Interview Policy:
1. Carefully review interview dates, the number of available interview slots, and language in the interview offer for accuracy before contacting applicants.
2. Ensure that the interview scheduling software or method being used by the program is set up correctly with the appropriate number of interview slots available.
3. If using a waitlist, extend interview offers that equal, not exceed, the total number of available waitlist slots.
4. Ensure that applicants who are extended an interview or waitlist offer are given 48 hours to respond before moving on to another applicant.
5. Review the policy (Section 6.2) in the Main Residency Match 2024 Match Participation Agreement for Programs with all members of the recruitment team to ensure understanding of and compliance with the terms and conditions.
The Interview Period policy will go into effect for programs and institutions participating in the Specialties Matching Service for all fellowship Matches opening after January 1, 2024.
For questions regarding the interview period or other Match policies, please contact NRMP Policy at email@example.com. We look forward to supporting you through the 2024 matching process.
Updates to the 2024 Match Participation Agreements and Codes of Conduct
The NRMP has posted the Match Participation Agreements for the 2024 Main Residency Match and updated Codes of Conduct for Applicants and for Programs.
Participants in an NRMP Match are responsible for reading the entire Match Participation Agreement. The linked document highlights some new and updated policies to support Match participants as they prepare for the upcoming transition cycle. In addition, updates to the Codes of Conduct intended to foster continued ethical behavior during the application and matching processes are included.
Medical Schools: Upload Rising Seniors
Functionality opened October 1
Medical school officials can track their student’s participation in the 2024 Main Residency Match by uploading a list of rising seniors directly to the Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system. As seniors register, this dynamic list allows school officials to follow up with unregistered students to ensure they register in advance of the deadline. Although voluntary, doing so also helps school officials prevent ineligible students from participating in the Match before they register.
Support guides are available to assist school officials in uploading and managing their students in the Match:
Upload a Student List & Edit Student Details Support Guide
Managing Students and Graduates Support Guide
NRMP News and Reminders
Recording Available! Introduction to the 2024 Main Residency Match for Residency Programs Webinar
NRMP Chief of Match Operations, Jeanette Calli, and Senior Manager of Policy and Compliance, David Dojcsak-Sparks, recently hosted a webinar designed to assist program staff in administering their programs in the Main Residency Match.
This presentation provides introductory information about the Match, updates on policy changes for 2024, and support resources.
Save the Date!
Fall DIO Call on November 13
The NRMP will host the upcoming fall NRMP-DIO Zoom call on Monday, November 13, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. ET.
The NRMP established these calls in 2021 to occur twice a year between NRMP leadership and the DIO community to create a forum in which to discuss NRMP policies, Match activities, and issues affecting institutions and programs relevant to the transition to residency. All DIOs registered with the NRMP will receive an invitation to the meeting in the upcoming weeks.
Since these meetings are only for the invited DIOs, please do not forward the meeting invite to others.
NRMP’s 70th Anniversary
Building on the past, investing in the future
Getting excited about #Match2024? In this video, previous Match applicants offer their practical advice, encouragement, and best wishes for this year’s applicants. Check it out!
Watch the video
The NRMP is celebrating its 70th anniversary with a year-long campaign featuring videos highlighting NRMP’s initiatives and innovations. Check out NRMP’s 70th Anniversary webpage for the latest videos, Match photos, history of the NRMP, and more!
Transition to Residency Conference
The NRMP is excited to host its national stakeholder conference, Transition to Residency, on October 5 – 7, 2023 in Boston, MA.
The conference provides an opportunity for members of the medical education community, including learners, to network, and collaborate on a range of topics that are central to understanding and strengthening the transition to residency.
We’re looking forward to seeing conference attendees in a few days and having meaningful discussions about improving the transition to residency!
Colon & Rectal Surgery, Medical Genetics, Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
- October 11, 9:00 p.m. ET: Rank Order List Certification
- October 11, 11:59 p.m. ET: Quota Change Deadline
Psychiatry, Sports Medicine
- October 18, 12:00 p.m. ET: Match Opens
- October 25, 12:00 p.m. ET: Rank Order List Opens
Colon & Rectal Surgery, Medical Genetics, Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
- October 25, 12:00 p.m. ET: Match Day
- October 25, 9:00 p.m. ET: Rank Order List Certification Deadline
Careers at NRMP
NRMP is growing to meet the needs of the community. We currently have two positions open:
- Communications Analyst
- Data Engineer
For more information, please visit our Careers page. NRMP is an equal opportunity employer.