Welcome to the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) Main Residency Match®. The purpose of the Main Residency Match is to provide a uniform time for both applicants and programs to make their training selections without pressure. Through the Main Residency Match, applicants may be “matched” to programs using the certified rank order lists (ROL) of the applicants and program directors, or they may obtain one of the available unfilled positions during the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program®. The Main Residency Match is managed through the NRMP’s Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system.
The NRMP seeks to maintain the highest professional standards in the conduct of the Main Residency Match and in its interactions with all participants: applicants, program directors, institutional officials, and medical school staff. All participants in the Main Residency Match must conduct their affairs in an ethical and professionally responsible manner and respect the right of applicants to freely investigate program options prior to submission of their rank order lists.
Programs that participate in the Main Residency Match
- Categorical-C: programs that begin in the PGY-1 year and provide the full training required for specialty board certification.
- Primary-M: categorical programs in primary care medicine and primary care pediatrics that begin in the PGY-1 year and provide the full training required for specialty board certification.
- Advanced-A: programs that begin in the PGY-2 year after a year of prerequisite training.
- Preliminary-P: one-year programs that begin in the PGY-1 year and provide prerequisite training for advanced programs.
- Physician-R: programs that are reserved for physicians who have had prior graduate medical education. Reserved programs offer PGY-2 positions that begin in the year of the Match and thus are not available to senior medical students.
Some specialties may offer both categorical and advanced type positions. Examples are Dermatology, Anesthesiology, Neurology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Diagnostic Radiology.
- Watch video on The Match Process: Applicants | International Medical Graduates | Institutions & Programs
- Learn about participant roles and responsibilities
- Consult this alphabetical listing of Match terms and topics